Monday, May 26, 2008

Happy birthday to ME!

Salut!

Well, saturday was my fake birthday. That was the only day that everyone could celebrate my birthday, so Saturday was my birthday...in France.

It was pretty close to being magical. Christian made me a birthday cake, which was closer to being chocolate mousse with cherries and bits of vanilla cake sprinkled with rum surrounding the mousse. Either way, cake or mousse, it was delicious!

So, it was really nice because Christian's daugher and boyfriend were here for the weekend. It was nice having Elodie around. She's really nice and was easier to understand: I think she just has really good pronunciation.

I invited my only friend (outside of the family) that I've made (and is still in town) to my birthday party. That's Jacques....a 50 year old man who is super nice. He even gave me a birthday gift. I was SO suprised. He gave me a necklace and some earings. They're kinda quirky but I like them. I also got to take part in a REAL French birthday party tradition. They take a knife and cut off the end of a bottle of champagne so that the cork is still stuck in the end. Apparently, after the end is cut off, you write the date and your name on the cork and it's a memento. I thought that was pretty cool. So, now I have a cork with the end of a champagne bottle stuck around it.

So, it was pretty chill, my birthday party. Just the typical French dinner. Salad, potatoes and beef sauteed in olive oil and garlic and of course lots and LOTS of bread and fromage (cheese for our non-french speakers)! I am falling in love with French cheese! I love it SOO much.

After dinner, I was forced into serenading everyone with my Ukulele. We sat outside, under the stars with candles as I played my very short songs (everyone wore farmers hats...I think they thought the Uke is a hick instrument or something). After that we just dug into the cake.

Also, over the weekend, we had 12 quebecois rent out the bed and breakfast houses here! It was almost like having a piece of home here in France, having the canadiens here. They mainly just spoke French though.

Well, that's all for now.
Krista: CONGRATS! I'm glad to hear that you had Cade! I can't wait to meet him.
Diana: I've been thinking about you. I hope everything goes well for you in Texas/Mexico. Thanks for the message in French (that was clever of you)

I love you guys!
Kelly

2 comments:

Miriam said...

Hi Kelly, good to hear from you. sounds like you are having a great time. Krista and I had a good laugh about the wine bottle. I hope this posts. I have been having trouble doing this again even after changing my user name and password. Dad went to Canada Creek with LInda and Bucky for a couple of days. All is well in Portland.
mom

Diana said...

Happy late birthday, Kelly!

It really sounds amazing where you are. I wish I could visit!

I'm really loving Annunciation House. All of the volunteers are really friendly and fun to hang out with. Also, there are a few families in the house that have amazingly cute kids.

Today is 101 degrees, so we're going to a reservoir to swim in the lake and eat watermelon, apparently.

Check out my blog (which I haven't updated at all): dianaflora.blogspot.com

I miss you, and I hope you're having a great time!